ONLINE 4 Week Intro to Wine with Jonny Tyson June/July
Get to grips with the fascinating world of wine on this 4 week introductory course. Run over 4 consecutive Thursdays, this is designed for people who enjoy wine and want to learn more about it, in a fun, friendly and relaxed setting with no previous wine tasting experience necessary!
At the end of the course you will :
- Be able to taste wine like a professional
- Have learned how to assess the quality of a wine
- Be able to tell if a wine is faulty
- Understand the world’s most important red and white wines
- Understand wine labels and find out new wines to try!
Week 1 – Introduction to Wine Tasting - Thursday 25th June 7pm
This first session will cover the basics: how wine is made and where in the world it comes from, how to taste wine and assess it like a true professional, tasting 3 important wines of the world
Week 2 – Wonderful White wines of the world - Thursday 2nd July 7pm
This sess we’ll move on to talk about white wines and taste at least 6 delicious examples along the way - but with examples you may not have come across before! We’ll talk a bit about the grape varieties and what they taste like as well as the wine regions that they come from, consider their potential for food and wine matching and further hone your wine tasting skills. We'll also cover things like use of oak and barrel aging.
Week 3 – Red wines of the world - Thursday - 9th July 7pm
Here we’ll explore the variety of red wine styles to be found. From light and fruity wines, classic old world favourites and new world blockbusters! We’ll also talk about tannin and why some wines get better with age, as well as some other useful tips like why/when you should decant wine and what temperature to serve it at.
Week 4 – Fizz, Sweeties and Fortified - Thursday 16th July 7pm
The last session we will taste three different wines that will fill your senses! We start with sparkling wine. Discover the difference between everyday Prosecco and Vintage Champagne, how dessert wines are made and finish with a fortified tawny Port
So join us on this 4 week course and change the way you think about wine forever! You’ll try some amazing wines, learn abut wine, all from the comfort of your own home!
All four sessions (each 60 mins) cost £50 total and the wine is available to order. The case contains 12 half bottles, we will taste 3 per session.
Each evening, Jonny will also be tasting three wines that are representative of the styles discussed during that evening's session. A case of each wine covered throughout the course (12 x 375ml bottles) will be available to order for anyone registered to attend the course, so if you'd like, you can also purchase and enjoy the wines with Jonny (or at a later date). The cost for this 12 half-bottle case is £110 and thanks to a collaboration with several of our suppliers is available purchase via Streatham Wine House HERE. Any wine orders received after 12pm will be processed on the next working day. The team is working hard to deliver your order within two working days.
Optional Tasting Case comprised of 12 half-bottles (£110):
- NV Classic Cuvée Multi Vintage, Nyetimber, Southern England
- 2018 Rioja Blanco, El Coto, Spain
- 2018 Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, Kim Crawford, New Zealand
- 2018 `Enchanted Garden of the Eden Valley` Riesling, Dandelion Vineyards, South Australia
- 2018 Verdicchio Classico Superiore, Villa Bucci, Marche, Italy
- 2018 Calchaquí Valley Malbec, Amalaya, Salta, Argentina
- 2016 Rioja Crianza, El Coto, Spain 2017 `Lionheart of the Barossa` Shiraz, Dandelion Vineyards, South Australia
- 2018 Fleurie, Dominique Morel, Beaujolais, France
- 2016 Chianti Classico, Isole e Olena, Tuscany, Italy
- 2017 Barossa Valley Botrytis Semillon, Peter Lehmann Masters, South Australia
- NV 10-Year-Old Tawny Port, Quinta do Infantado, Douro, Portugal
(Wines may vary due to availability)
Places remaining: 20
Course Date/Time: Thu 25th Jun 2020 at 7.00pm
Duration: 4 x 1 hours
Venue: South London Wine School ONLINE