WSET Level 1 Spirits
Wine and Spirit Education Trust courses provide globally recognised qualifications which are suitable for both spirit industry professionals and spirit enthusiasts. As a WSET Approved Programme Provider (APP) South London Wine School has been certified to offer this qualification as part of the UK's Qualifications and Credits Framework which is accredited by OfQual.
Who should consider studying WSET Level 1 in Spirits?
- The WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits (formerly known as the Foundation Certificate) is intended to establish the basic skills and product knowledge required in the service and retail of spirits; it is ideal for preparing a person for their first job in hospitality or retail.
- This course is also a good introductory first course for the spirit enthusiast who wishes to study in a structured way: the qualification will cover skills such as identifying spirit styles, categories of spirits and service.
No previous experience of Spirit Tasting is necessary to register on this course.
Not sure if this is the right level for you? Click on the link to view the Course Specification including sample exam questions.
- Spirit Tasting: Tasting and describe spirits using the WSET L1 systematic approach to spirit tasting
- Spirit Service: Learn the different serves for spirits and what types of spirits are suited to each serve
- Spirit Marketing: Learn common ideas in the marketing of spirits
- Spirit production: Learn what spirits are made from and how they are made
- Categories and styles of spirit: Learn about the main categories and different styles within each category. Including: Vodka, Rum, Tequila, Whisky, Gin, Cognac, Liquers
- Number of spirits tasted: 12 spirits will be tasted as part of the course
- Social responsibility: A guide to sensible drinking
- Duration of course: 1 day including examination
- Examination: Multiple choice paper of 30 questions to be completed in 45 minutes. A mark of 70% required to pass
- Certification: All students who pass will receive a certificate suitable for framing and label pin.